Welcome to Quadratec Jeep Forum Mark forums read | View Forum Leaders
Quadratec Jeep Forum
Advert

Tow behind 2 person camper for YJ?

photobucket moron

bkrjeeper is on a distinguished road

04-18-2010, 05:25 PM

Since there was some chat over on the Tech section about towing with a SWB vehicle, does anyone have experience with towing a small 2 person camper safely behind a SWB vehicle? Looking at possibly buying new, just an idea right now. Maybe like a 10 - 12 footer?
I have an 87 YJ, 350 SB,TH 350 trans. 8.8, 4.10's, 4 in. Superlift, 32's
87 YJ Laredo edition, SB350, alum. performer intake, 600-4bbl, ceramic headers, duals out the back, TH350 trans. with B&M Z gate. 4" Superlift. 32x11.50 AT's. 8.8 with 4.10's, factory LS. HP D30. HD 231 with SYE, Tom Woods CV DS. TJ rear flares. Belly up.

Rookie

hoghead1 is on a distinguished road

04-18-2010, 11:40 PM

A small pop-up would be alright. I have a 99 TJ with a 2.5 and I pulled one with no problem. I wasn't going to win any races but it got me there. I pulled a 14' camper for a friend and when the wind would catch it or I got drafted by a semi, I thought I was going to lose it because the Jeep was so light.

First to buy a purse

StrongWind is on a distinguished road

04-19-2010, 01:54 AM

I wouldn't be concerned with your Jeep's ability to PULL any trailer, I would be more concerned with its ability to STOP the trailer in a panic situation.

Most accidents are caused by an inability to STOP in a controlled manner. A modified, lifted Jeep with larger tires does NOT stop anything like a stock one....And the short wheelbase on a YJ will not handle being pushed around (sway) by the trailer.

I believe the "stock" tow rating for a YJ was 1,000#'s??? Need to check...I've never considered using my YJ to tow. (I have a truck for that..)

How big (weight) is the trailer you are considering?
Is it "low" profile (popup) or hard sided trailer?

Have you seen/considered the small two person "teardrop" style trailer/camper?
93 YJ, 4.0L, Auto, 4.10's, RE 4.5" lift, 35" BFG MT's KM2, MORE 1" BL, MORE 1" MML, MORE Boomerangs, AA SYE, Tom Woods shaft, D44 ARB rear, D30 ARB front, TBT Trail Cage, Shrockworks Sliders, Warn X8000i

your title -Here-

b1pig will become famous soon enoughb1pig will become famous soon enough

04-19-2010, 08:48 AM

i think a smaller pop-up would be fine... as mentioned... so long as the brakes are good on the Jeep. i've towed way over the 3,500 lb rating on my JK-U at very slow speeds.

the setup of the Jeep is a key factor, too. if you have big floaty 33-35" tires, the tendency to wander will be greater. i would also suggest that the angle of the trailer be as near horizonal as possible. i towed with the ZJ on 33's and 5.5" just fine. i flipped the axle (SOA) on the trailer to get it a little higher and level it out. improved the handling, too.

photobucket moron

04-19-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
i think a smaller pop-up would be fine... as mentioned... so long as the brakes are good on the Jeep. i've towed way over the 3,500 lb rating on my JK-U at very slow speeds.

the setup of the Jeep is a key factor, too. if you have big floaty 33-35" tires, the tendency to wander will be greater. i would also suggest that the angle of the trailer be as near horizonal as possible. i towed with the ZJ on 33's and 5.5" just fine. i flipped the axle (SOA) on the trailer to get it a little higher and level it out. improved the handling, too.
I've done a lot of towing in my many years of driving, but I have never towed with any of my Jeep's. I was looking at something like this. I haven't priced them yet, but I'm sure they're not cheap. No frills just a place to sleep.

87 YJ Laredo edition, SB350, alum. performer intake, 600-4bbl, ceramic headers, duals out the back, TH350 trans. with B&M Z gate. 4" Superlift. 32x11.50 AT's. 8.8 with 4.10's, factory LS. HP D30. HD 231 with SYE, Tom Woods CV DS. TJ rear flares. Belly up.

your title -Here-

b1pig will become famous soon enoughb1pig will become famous soon enough

04-19-2010, 11:58 PM

no... they are NOT cheap.... i've priced em, but its been before this depression we're in.

First to buy a purse

StrongWind is on a distinguished road

04-20-2010, 12:08 AM

This is the style I've seen around a few campgrounds - pretty sweet...Basically give you a place to sleep protected from the elements.

Here's a few different links

http://www.cozycruiser.com/index.html

http://www.littleguytrailers.net/
93 YJ, 4.0L, Auto, 4.10's, RE 4.5" lift, 35" BFG MT's KM2, MORE 1" BL, MORE 1" MML, MORE Boomerangs, AA SYE, Tom Woods shaft, D44 ARB rear, D30 ARB front, TBT Trail Cage, Shrockworks Sliders, Warn X8000i

photobucket moron

04-20-2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongWind View Post
This is the style I've seen around a few campgrounds - pretty sweet...Basically give you a place to sleep protected from the elements.
Thanks Stongwind! That would be nice. I've got a trip coming up to the badlands in Indiana? Never been there, but I will need a place to sleep. Plan on driving the Jeep. We may just tent it too.